All of us experience acne or pimples at some point in our lives. Acne is quite common in the teenage years of life. However nowadays, adult-onset acne, that is, acne that starts for the first time after the age of 25 years are becoming very common. Before embarking upon the treatment options it is important to understand why do acne occur. It is only then that one can take a comprehensive approach to treat acne. There are numerous treatments to treat acne and our best acne specialist will use the top acne treatment according to your acne problem.
Q. How does acne develop?
Acne is basically a disease of the oil-producing or sebaceous glands of the face, back, and chest. These sebaceous glands are located at the depth of the pilosebaceous follicle with is commonly seen as pores on the skin. These sebaceous glands produce oil/sebum, which when produced excessively, as in people with oily skin, causes clogging of pores and acne. When these clogged pores are covered by a layer of skin this appears as a white head. It becomes black due to the oxidation on account of air contact and hence it is called as a blackhead. Yes! BLACKHEADS AND WHITEHEADS are also acne and are the predecessors of painful pus containing acne. Thus, it is important to unclog your pores regularly with some exfoliation treatments to prevent the development of blackheads/ whiteheads as well as their conversion into pus containing acne.
Next, the clogged pore gets infected by oil feeding bacteria which is present on everyone’s skin, that is, Propionibacterium acnes (P.acnes). The clogged secretions, accompanied by the multiplication of P.acnes leads to irritation and inflammation of the skin which is now visible as aggravation close to the skin’s surface); Pustules (more profound irritation bringing about discharge arrangement which appears as a more white or yellower top, likewise called pimples) and ultimately nodules and cysts.
Some other more serious forms of acne like Acne conglobata and Acne fulminans cover large areas of face and trunk and if untreated can cause irreversible damage to the skin
These sebaceous glands are controlled by a range of hormones. Therefore, acne develops in a variety of hormonal issues like hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) or conditions with excess testosterone generation. Due to the increasing incidence of such chronic hormonal issues, acne is commonly seen even in adults today.
Q. Why is it important to prevent and treat acne by a specialist?
Many people sometimes trivialize acne saying that they are a part and parcel of teenage and there is no need to treat them. But according to an acne specialist, However, the truth is that Acne Might Be Temporary But The Scars Are Permanent. It is important to treat acne from a specialist doctor so that they don’t leave behind any permanent pigmentation or scars which may lower one’s self-confidence and self-esteem for a lifetime.
Q. How to prevent acne?
Prevention of acne begins at home. There are certain ground rules that one with oily and acne prone skin must follow to maintain healthy skin:
- Maintain a Cleansing-Toning-Moisturising (CTM) routine: This is a very basic advice, however, the products chosen for the CTM routine should be the ones advised by your dermatologist. As randomly chosen products can do more harm than good.
- Maintain a healthy sleep cycle with 8 hours of regular sleep
- Avoid high intake of milk. One can have fermented producs like curd, yogurt or cheese
- Decrease the intake of sweet and fast food as they promote the secretion of IGF1 which is known to increase acne.
- Exfoliate your skin once in two weeks to unclog the pores. A best dermatologist assisted exfoliation is more intensive and reliable and needs to be done only once a month.
- Avoid touching your face again and again as you might infect your acne all the more and infect your skin.
- Avoid heavy cream based makeup. One should opt for powder based foundations and compacts and remove makeup as soon as one is home as prolonged make up can clog pores. Always remove your make up with makeup remover and then apply toner to unclog your pores efficiently.
- Avoid clean up and facials as more often than not they aggravate acne. One can opt for Medi facials which are not cream based and aim at targeting the root cause of acne.
Q.How do we treat acne at Skinhealers?
At Skinhealers, our acne specialist adopt a holistic approach to treat acne. Thorough history taking and investigations (if required) are done to find out the root cause of acne. If some hormonal issue is found out, it is also treated along with acne, sometimes working in liaison with best acne specialist (endocrinologist).
Next, a complete skin care routine consisting of a cleanser, toner, moisturizer, and sunscreen according to the skin type of the patient is advised.
Along with this a diet chart and lifestyle modification is advised to the patient so as to prevent recurrences and improve the overall health of the patient
The treatment protocol implies one or more of the following things:
- Oral medication
- Topical medication
- Chemical peels– Black peel/ salicylic acid peel
- Scar treatment- At Skinhealers, best acne specialist offer a wide range of scar reduction treatments procedure like micro needling, lasers, MNRF, TCA CROSS and chemical peels depending upon the skin type and depth of acne scars. The details on scar reduction can be seen in the scar reduction section
So, if you are fed up of acne and are looking for a one-stop destination for an all-round approach to your acne and their scars, Skinhealers is at your service!
Contact Us To Know More!
Our team will be happy to assist you!