LASER HAIR REMOVAL
Unwanted hair is a common problem encountered by both males and females. By unwanted hair, we not only mean excessive hair at any body part but even the normal amount of hair which one doesn’t like and therefore commonly resorts to removal methods like plucking, waxing, threading etc.
Laser hair removal has become very popular these days and with the right type of lasers, great results can be achieved for unwanted hair anywhere on the body. Also when done in properly trained hands it’s a very safe and painless and effective way to get rid of hair, way safer nd painless than waxing, threading and plucking hair.
Q. How does laser work?
A laser is an intensely concentrated beam of light energy that damages the hair follicle by targeting the melanin in the root of the hair. The melanin pigment absorbs the laser energy, gets heated and burns itself and the surrounding hair follicle, thereby removing the hair. Laser hair removal can be used on any part of the body in men and women. Because the laser is responding to pigment, laser hair removal does not work well on light-colored hair. On average, patients require 3-8 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart. Often times, patients require maintenance treatments to maintain results.
- What are the prerequisites for getting a laser treatment?
- Ideally, laser treatment is done in males and females aged 18 years and above.
- In cases of excessive hair growth, where there is suspicion of a hormonal imbalance, the doctor might suggest a hormonal evaluation. If certain hormonal abnormalities are found then medications might be prescribed to treat this for 1-3 months prior to resorting to laser hair removal for best results.
- Thick and dark hair absorbs the laser better as compared to thin, blonde, white, red or grey hair. In a patient with latter colored hair, the doctor will advise you on the best treatment option.
- no hair removal method except shaving must be employed at least 2 weeks before a laser treatment
- no bleaching of hair for 4 weeks before laser hair removal
- A consultation session before the laser treatment is done wherein the detailed evaluation of the skin and the color, texture, and thickness of the hair is done. This helps decide the laser parameters/settings right for you.
Q.What are the side-effects of laser hair removal and is it painful?
Side effects include redness, swelling, and less commonly burns, scabbing and blistering. It really depends on your skin and how it will react to the treatment. Most patients are very comfortable with the treatment. A mild pinprick sensation is normally felt which less than the pain of threading/waxing is. Some doctors also use numbing before the procedure to reduce the discomfort. The newer lasers available cause virtually no pain. Ask your doctor for options available.
Q. How long does it take to see the results of laser hair removal?
One thing that needs to be kept in mind is that the aim/ endpoint of lasers is LASER HAIR REDUCTION and not elimination. Usually, about 70%-90% of hair is removed permanently after 6-8 sittings. For the remaining hair, maintenance sessions are recommended. Initial 3 settings are done at an interval of 4-6 weeks. The next three at an interval of 2.5-3 months and the next are done at intervals of 4-5 months. Thereafter maintenance sessions, usually one or two in a year, are required
Q. How long does a sitting last?
It depends upon the area that’s to be treated. It may take up to 2 minutes for upper lip to around 2 hours for full body.
Q. How much does laser hair reduction cost?
It can cost anywhere between Rs.1000 to Rs.20000 per session depending on the area of the body. Upper-lip will cost around 1000-2000 per sitting. It is better to choose skin specialists only to avoid problems later on.
Q. Are there any specific instructions to follow after the sessions?
The only care that you really need is to protect yourself from the sun. Apply adequate sunscreen prescribed to you by your doctor. You should also refrain from using other hair removal methods in the area in between the sessions.
Q.Why choose Skinhealers for laser hair reduction?
At Skinhealers, we do detailed history, examination, and hormonal evaluation before starting laser treatment in order to get the best results for the patient. Also, we use the best in class lasers for best results. Also, all treatments are either done by Dr. Amanjot or are supervised by her in order to avoid any untoward side effects. At Skinhealers be sure to be in safe hands.
Contact Us To Know More!
Our team will be happy to assist you!